Thursday, September 13, 2007

DOT WILSON … candidate for Southland District Health Board

Dot is standing again for the SDHB - here is some information that she has provided to us that may help you make your decision on voting day!


Personal profile:

I have a family of three, and am grandmother to six grandchildren.

My life experiences have been shaped by a physical disability, resulting in long relationships with hospital services.

I have worked in the area of advocacy for people with disability, teaching self-advocacy, human rights and motivation, and encouraging people to work together to make changes toward a more inclusive society.

I am an elected member of the Southland District Health Board serving on the Disability Services Advisory Committee and chair to Kaitiaki Hauora, secretary for Disabled Persons Assembly (DPA) Southland, member of National Executive of DPA (NZ), chair to DPA Women’s Caucus, and DPA representative to the Workbridge Council.

I will bring to the DHB my skills, knowledge and experience from a grassroots perspective, identifying with all people but especially disabled people. I believe in supporting, encouraging and empowering all people. I believe in, and support self-advocacy and advocacy on behalf of disabled people.

I will endeavour to ensure that the Southland District Health Board provides inclusive and accessible services, and achieves best practice for all.

The issues I will focus on for the Southland DHB are:


- That Southlanders have the right to healthcare which is inclusive and accessible.
- That Southlanders have the right to know what they are entitled to, and how to access it.
- That all staff receives appropriate values based training from skilled people.
- The bridging of gaps between decision makers and the people of Southland.



No comments: